5 December 2006

DHL Delivery: Registering (again!)


As you can imagine, I currently have a sort of interest now in studying the flow of customer requests. This time is DHL, taking a parcel from Hull to London. This is the story:

I had to send something urgently to a University in London. They gave me a DHL account to send the parcel. Arranged collection for Monday. At 3pm, no one had come (they said between 12:30 and 2:30pm). Phoned them again. They said no booking had been made (I did it on Friday, but apparently their system did not register it!). So I arranged a new collection. When I was collecting the parcel from reception (where they were going to collect it) to store it in a safe place that night, I was told the parcel had been collected (!)

Got the receipt, went on the Internet and yes, the parcel had been collected.
The image is from today, it shows it has been delivered. Today, I am sure another guy from DHL could come to collect the parcel again. I have not told them anything...yet

It seems the desire to please the customer results in duplication of work; misunderstandings, and somebody else's waste of time. As with Dell, they were not that concerned (at least on the phone) of having to try a new collection or delivery. Maybe I am not an expert in supply chains, but if I was the postman coming to deliver or collect, I would not be happy.

No comments: