12 November 2008

In defence of the Quantum of Solace


The new movie of James Bond (Quantum of Solace) has received mixed reviews. Whilst for some it is a story going nowhere, for others it is a more humane picture of the all times hero.

What I liked is that the action is intense at different points, and right from the beginning we are taken into an atmosphere of pursuit, risk, and betrayal.

Bond is seeking revenge, but he finally understands that he is seeking himself. Something philosophical to think about. Me and my brothers Ricardo and Juan Carlos loved to go to see Bond's movies. I still remember when we watched "Octopussy" together. I can still remember the feeling of expectation, awe and somehow empathy towards Bond. He could use the most advanced technology, but at the end, it was his courage and luck which helped him. He proved himself. And by doing so, he helped us to remain friends, to forget about our problems and to share life.

Now Bond has helped me to understand the importance of letting go. He cannot do everything, or fight against himself. He is trapped in his own mind. He decides it is time to move on from revenge, and keep doing what he is good at.
In life this happens to all of us. In my case, I tend to be perfectionist, worried, anxious, and ask a lot from myself and my significant others. I also have some charm (of course I do!), but tend to forget this and other good things for the sake of urgency and perfection. Like Bond, I think we all need our own quantum of solace to pick ourselves up, let it go and move on. In careers and big decisions, we want everything to go according to plan. What if life gives us something unexpected...?
Maybe we need some solace. To regain friendship with ourselves.

No comments: