28 July 2019

My creativity habits

Since reading Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi's book "Creativity", and also taking an online course on creativity, innovation and change in 2015,  I have been encouraged to develop my own habits to nurture my creativity.

Csikszentmihalyi's book refers to habits that could help a person develop and maintain an adequate environment to work on his/her creativity,  whatever that might be.   This includes finding a good space (physical and timewise); combining work with other activities (for example playing a musical instrument); learning to say no to things that could take our mind away from our creative projects; and even having a car decorated in ways that reflect who we are as creators.

The online course I took encouraged me to develop deliberate practices or activities that I would not normally do or which would take me out of my comfort zone.   So one day, I went around the neighborhood walking in my pajamas!  And I took to do drawing and painting, because I wanted to find other ways to express my self.   People who visit my office can see some of my works of 'art', and often they praise my kids for them!

Virginia Water Lake
For me creativity now is what I do, an effort to walk the talk, an effort that also involves my well being as I said in my book.   I do not walk on my pajamas but I cycle whenever I can.  I have painted my office to make it more lively.   I also have some hiding places (mainly cafes) where I do my writing and thinking.  I also go to a nearby lake (Virginia Water) to have a walk and wind down when I feel stressed.  




And I am learning to say no, or to say yes with conditions. This helps me not to feel overwhelmed or guilty, and increasingly to have more realistic expectations about my creativity, work and life in general.  So for instance I am now beginning to take longer holiday breaks, and accepting that this is to be the case whether my perfectionist mind likes it or not.   This has not been easy to learn and still is one of my biggest challenges in life.   I was brought up to face up to any challenge, so I am learning and unlearning about myself in this regard. 


My folders for a new book project
In addition,and as the choreographer Twyla Tharp suggested in her book about the Creative Habit, I keep a 'box' in order to 'think outside the box'.  So I have several folders where I store notes or articles that I want to use for my next book(s).   The folders are decorated with stickers of my favorite movies (star wars, alien, ghost in the shell, yamato).  A good and also relaxing routine is to (re) organise the content of these folders, moving things around.  That also helps me remember what I am doing and why I am doing it.


Finally, in my mobile phone and tablet I use Evernote, a nice app that helps me write notes on the go, so I do not forget what I was dreaming about or what pops up in my mind when I am least thinking about ideas. When I feel that I am not much motivated, I check the notes that I have written and I edit them.This helps me regain a sense of confidence and purpose in my work

I am certain that creativity can be pursued with these or other habits.    For you reader, you might like to ask yourself what works best to get yourself into a good thinking and acting mood, so you can think of new ideas and make them happen.   I hope this post helps you.   Good luck with your creativity.  And please remember that you are a human being after all!.

No comments: