27 February 2021

As if nothing has happened

End of February 2021 in the UK.  Spring is at the doorstep and vaccinations are taking place in several countries.  There is a general feeling that we are soon getting back to normal.  My twins’ school is about to reopen and I am looking forward to this, I also want to have some space to myself! 




It would be easy to forget what has happened in the last year and to focus on ‘catching up’ with family, friends, work, holidays or anything else.  Myself,  have been doing some reading and writing for what I think is going to be my next book.  I have tried hard also to seek alternative hobbies or career possibilities.  I have now exhausted myself.  Luckily I have people around me that keep telling me to slow down. There is no need for the rush. I was supposed to go easy on myself during this new lockdown!




Anyway, I think that part of my problem is that I somehow want to forget about 2020 and to carry on as if nothing had happened.  This is a normal reaction to adverse events.  Only that if we take another look at what went on, we could also rescue some positives.  And then accept that we are to move on, with this awareness.


Some of us would want to cling to helpful habits that we have acquired.  Paradoxically in my case, I have learned to do some things slowly.  Waking up and having breakfast, getting ready for the day whilst having a nice chat with my wife has been really good.  We talk about science fiction or comics, the mangas that she is reading, novelties about our twins or my ideas about how crazy and un predictable creativity is.  We also vent out our frustrations and worries.  And then we start working or homeschooling.  For me it has become a realisation that it is not possible to do everything on a single day, or do it very well.  My praise to my twins teachers, they do an amazing job, all things considered.  



I would love to get back to my office on campus,  with a view to enjoy the physical surroundings.  I would love to do less there.  I used to spend a great deal of time there, wandering between the office and the cafes or the shop, feeling that I needed to be there and with a fear of wasting my time.  Now, I think can still do my work and would love to stop on the way for a coffee in nearby towns, or strolling for a walk as I used to do some times.  



We just have to be grateful to be alive, to have some energy to carry out during our days, to have loved ones.  Yes, we are now living differently and more carefully.  But we can still live.  Slowly but surely.  Who wouldn’t want to do that?  




No comments: